Friday, November 15, 2013

Updating my journal

Newport was beautiful on Sunday. It was Restaurant Week and I had gone down there to lunch at one of the participating restaurants with my son and his partner.

The restaurant was in a hotel which had maintained its old grandeur, boasting beautiful wood and brass fittings, complete with an old style cubby board and real room keys! No key cards here!

On the whole it wasn't the greatest meal we had ever had, but the chowder was excellent and of course the company was perfect!

Following lunch I was taken to a little market, Le Petit something or other! There I spent far too much on cheese, crackers and French mustard. It was worth it! Paired with the onion, garlic chutney I had bought at Vendors' Day at the Glass studio the previous day, the creamy 3 milk cheese is delicious.

The sun shone, but time and the blustery wind prevented us attempting the Cliff Walk. However, we drove round the coastline and stopped for a short walk to the Castle Hill lighthouse. The sea was cresting way off the coast and homing in on the rocks. I love the ocean. It was such a lovely day, and to be able to walk without pain over those rocks was a terrific experience. I am so glad I had the knee surgery.

On Wednesday I took some bobbin lace tree ornaments to the craft store. It will be interesting to see whether they sell. Then I went to exercise at the hotel pool. Again I had the pool to myself. The trees out in the courtyard and beyond are almost competely bare, but the sun was shining and the scene was pleasant. Although it is becoming very cold we are so lucky to have had so many beautiful days this fall.

That night I watched the episode 'Orchis Fatalis", one of the Midsomer Murders; a series always amazing for its views of beautiful cottage gardens, thatched roofs and country scenery. This episode was packed with stunning arrays of orchids. It almost made up for the fact that I missed the Orchid Show at Tower Hill a couple of weekends ago. I have to put these events on my calendar!

I have yet to become adept at cultivating orchids so that they continue to bloom. I try but I am better at maintaining succulents and lesser houseplants, although most flowering plants are beautiful in my opinion. One day I will have the orchids of my dreams. The orchid is a very sexy plant as one of the characters on Midsomer Murders announced to Detective Inspector Barnaby!

No comments:

Post a Comment