Saturday, October 5, 2013

On Swimming and Flying

I feel good! I had the pool to myself this morning, so I swam round and round in circles as well as doing my exercises!

My preferred stroke is breast stroke but, in such a small pool, I can only do 8 to 10 strokes across  when there is anyone else there! I think the breast stroke is good for my legs as the frog like action strengthens my hips as well as rehabilitating my knee.

I recall that at school I would get to do the breast stroke portion of a relay race because every one else preferred front or back stroke! I also remember getting sun stroke one summer, waiting on the edge of the pool, already wet from swimming. Not to be recommended! We know so much more these days about protecting ourselves from the sun.

I was sitting on the bench in the pool, bicycling away, day dreaming and admiring the trees in the courtyard, which have changed colour since I first started using the pool. I emerged from my reverie when a small plane, presumably out of Marlboro airfield, flew into view. It reminded me again of how much I would have liked to complete my flying course and achieve my pilot's license. But the FAA does not allow anyone with mental illness to pilot a plane.

At the time, several people suggested I fight this rule, but I consoled myself with the thought that since it was such an expensive pastime I wouldn't be able to afford it anyway!

The subject of flying had come to the forefront of my mind last Sunday, when Chris and I went to Nancy's Cafe at the Minuteman Airfield in Stow. One of Nancy's slogans is 'fly in for breakfast'! I think that would be kind of romantic, or would it just be elitist?!

Chris also has aspirations to fly. I can't remember if he achieved his license, but he has put in a few hours in the air, which I never did.

We were delighted to see (initially for me it was to hear as it was so loud) a small plane which may have been circa WWII, taxi in. Chris actually saw it land; I missed that. We were were sitting outside waiting for our call and my line of vision was blocked.

Nancy's Cafe was a delight. She sources her ingredients locally. Clearly she also grows some of them as tomato plants could be seen growing at the edge of the airfield. Of course they were way past their best last Sunday! It's serious apple and pumpkin picking time in this part of Massachusetts. Even the lamb on Nancy's menu comes from a named farm.

She greeted her customers at their tables and drew our attention to an article about the restaurant in the Boston Magazine. She handed me a copy from a pile of bookmarked magazines. In fact I had discovered the existence of her restaurant while perusing an earlier copy of the magazine in the waiting room of a doctor's office!

We were there for brunch, but I would love to go back for dinner. It is really quite quick to get there from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment